Monday, September 10, 2007

Good news for 1st year teachers: 2nd year is better!

Well, so far my second year of teaching doesn’t suck. In comparison to my first year, it’s heaven! I haven’t burst into tears at all! I feel busier, but also more confident in my abilities, and I’m definitely up to the challenges the new year brings. I have slightly older students (9th graders that have failed a few times and 10th graders who haven’t passed NY standardized testing) and they are highly functional with an average reading level of 7th grade! Compared with the 3rd grade reading levels from last year…I’m in academic heaven! However, the beginning of the year is always the busiest for me (I haven’t left my school before 4:30PM yet) so I’ll need to leave this entry short and give you a quick run down of how the second year is way better than the first year of teaching.

Why the 2nd Year of Teaching is Just Plain Better:

-I know where the copy-basket is.
-I know who I can bother to get copies really fast.
-Students can’t accuse you of being a first year teacher. (Somehow they can smell it on you, the first year)
-I hold actual conversations with other teachers…That’s right, they bothered to learn my name after I stuck around for a year. I feel like I’ve been initiated into a club after a full year of hazing.
-Already, I have dozens of lesson plans I can use for the kids without any extra work.
-Word has spread from my old students to my new students, and they have a pretty good idea about who I am, and what I am about.
-I know the names of the security guards.
-I’ve beaten the classroom rules and expectations into the grounds with my students.
-I have a better idea of what students I can push, and which ones I shouldn’t bother.
-I’m ok with giving the students break time, and for the most part they meet me half way and complete work.
-I know the power of using games for learning. Seriously, with a little ingenuity any lesson can be tied to a game, and once you have the kids playing…they buy into the lesson more.
-I’m friendly with the IT staff, and they are very helpful.
-I’m taking less crap from paraprofessionals and asserting myself more.
-I haven’t said anything undiplomatic to administration.
-There are other new teachers! I’m not the lowest man on the totem pole!
-I have positive relationships in place with students outside my classroom. When students in my class who don’t know me see that their peers respect me, I’ve found that it guides their perception of me in a positive way.
-Already I have at least 50% of the school supplies I’ll need for the year.
-I know the janitors’ names, and we’re on good terms.
-I’m more able to discern truth from lie 40% more often, and can usually tell when I’m being BSed.
-My voice doesn’t waver when I talk to parents on the phone.
-I haven’t had to call security yet for violence in my room.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hurray! Each year (heck, each month, week, day) will get easier and better.

Monday, September 10, 2007 5:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad for you! Now your principal can eat crow!

Monday, September 10, 2007 6:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woohoo!! Keep it up!! :)

Sadly I'm still battling with my AP, but I'm working on it. She's going to have no room to complain. UGH. Woman drives me insane.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 3:40:00 AM  
Blogger Nacho Lover said...

congratulations! doesn't it feel good to have survived that trial by fire knowing how much stronger you are for it?
this year will be a great one for you!

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 6:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely agree with this. I'm in my second year and everything just seems to click this time around. I know I still have a ton more learning to do, but at least we know where to find things!

Saturday, September 15, 2007 12:25:00 PM  
Blogger Kylee said...

I am a math education major at Indiana Wesleyan University. I just found your blog and I just absolutely love it! I'm really nervous about going into the teaching field and your blog, especially this one, has really helped to enlighten me on being a new teacher and helped to ease some of my fears! So I just wanted to say thank you! and I can't wait to hear more updates!

Saturday, April 03, 2010 8:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker