Wednesday, July 04, 2007

The First, Lazy Week of Summer

Happy Forth of July…and a week since I gave up my classroom keys and once again became an education civilian. I’m sure you’re wondering what amazing teaching techniques I’ve been studying during this first week of reprieve…and sadly I must say none.

I’ve slept…a lot. My honey thinks I have mono, and not-so-secretly hates that I get to sleep in while he heads to work.

Transformers movie. Who doesn’t love it when giant robot cars fight? Plus I figure it’s something I talk to my students about next September.

I raided NYC library and horded up on guilty pleasure reading. For 10 months I’ve read manily education-based books for my grad classes…but with some time on my hands I can read for pleasure on top of my grad work. If I had to say what I missed most during my first year of teaching…it would be freedom to get lost in a book.

To get out of the house I grabbed an audiobook version of Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and started walking ‘round Brooklyn.

Junk-food TV. All the best crap-TV shows come out during the summer, and I love not being too tired at the end of the day to enjoy their absurdity.

I’ve called/written/emailed those friends and family members I put on the backburner while my classroom was coming down around me. I needed to take that moment to reconnect.

I signed up for the Life Space Crisis Intervention professional development courses. It will impress my principal, and give me a neato certificate I can add to my resume. Not to mention I can learn some good classroom behavior tools.

Took some time to really appreciate my cat. He’s freakin’ awesome, and doesn’t mind when I call him “Teacher’s Pet.” What? Don’t judge me.

Played video games. Enjoyed those little fun things I used to do before panic attacks were a weekly occurrence.

I’ll start planning next year’s onslaught in a few weeks. It didn’t seem possible…but this summer seems so sweet and pure and precious. Thinking back on my childhood I remembered how much I loved Summer as a kid, but now it’s that same feeling as a teacher: Freedom and infinite possibilities.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do you feel sadly about not planning only after one week? You have course work, and that will help generate ideas for next year.

As far as impressing principals, don't go down that road. Take these courses for you and your students, not her. And please don't be under the illusion that anything will impress her or you may be in for a let down.

As for your boyfriend feeling jealous...when was the last time he got punched or cursed at on his job?

Thursday, July 05, 2007 6:29:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS

Congrats on being published in the Carnival again. :)

Thursday, July 05, 2007 6:33:00 AM  
Blogger Teacha said...

i agree with everything School Gal said. Enjoy the "purity" of your summer. Relax. In a few weeks, when you get ready get up and begin working!

Thursday, July 05, 2007 9:34:00 AM  
Blogger Ms. C said...

Purity is right! This first week has been something divine...and I'm feeling human again.

I feel like the last few weeks of the school year I was coming up with all these great ideas to use next year, and then I come to the break and stop planning. I feel like I'm taking a deep breath of air.

As for impressing my principal...I just want her to have less reason to fire me next year.

Thursday, July 05, 2007 12:55:00 PM  
Blogger NYC Educator said...

Get your hands on the original British radio show of Hitchhiker's Guide if you can. It's fantastic.

The book is too, of course.

Friday, July 06, 2007 2:24:00 PM  
Blogger Nacho Lover said...

woo for summer relaxation! you sound so happy and rejuvenated! keep playing and reading and sleeping in.

Sunday, July 08, 2007 11:28:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How goes the summer since we had burgers? Do we want to try and do brunch next week? I can do Saturday...I've got tickets to a show on Sunday. Fiddlesticks opens at noon.

Sunday, July 08, 2007 11:59:00 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

It's nice to be able to really relax for once, huh? Sounds like you learned a lot during your first year. I'm going to keep reading, if you don't mind - I really enjoy your entries!

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 10:22:00 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

By the way, do you mind if I add you to the list of blogs that I read often? Thanks!

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 10:40:00 AM  
Blogger Nacho Lover said...

hey, if you didn't see it on my blog, we're having a teacher-blogger gathering this week!
On Friday, July 13th, meet us at 6pm, on the Great Lawn,
closest to the Delacorte
Theatre. Enter the park at 5th and 79th or 81st and CPW.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 11:13:00 AM  
Blogger East Coast Teacher said...

Found you through Becky - adding you to my blogroll. Enjoy reading about your adventures, as they remind me a lot of what my last year was like and have me wondering just what lies ahead as I prepare to begin my first official year of teaching.

I'll be back - enjoy the summer, you definitely earned the break :)

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 12:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola!! :) Have I got a good place for us to go sometime. It's a bit of a splurge, but SOOOOO worth it. Piccolo Angolo. HOMEMADE Italian food!! YUMMY!!!

Friday, July 27, 2007 5:57:00 PM  
Blogger Mango Jesus Superstar said...

Hi there - I've just discovered your blog and have been reading your past posts, and just wanted to say that I'm incredibly impressed not only with your resolve, ability, and good judgment, but also with your amazing writing! As someone who is considering the NY fellowship program or something like it, thank you! This has been so helpful, frightening, reassuring, and informative.

Sunday, July 29, 2007 6:21:00 PM  
Blogger RLP said...

My name is Rebecca Payne. I'm a doctoral student at the University of Tennessee working on my dissertation on beginning teachers who blog. I'd like to talk to you about your experiences. Please email me directly at rpayne7@utk.edu for more information. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.

Thank you,
Rebecca Payne

Friday, August 03, 2007 9:36:00 PM  
Blogger pisces7 said...

I'm a first year teacher and it's been extremely difficult and discouraging at times.. After reading your 10 tips for teaching, I know what I want to do for next year. Reading your blog made me feel so much better and not so alone.. Thank YOU! I also teach in NYC in Brooklyn.

Sunday, May 03, 2009 8:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker