Thursday, May 10, 2007

I Want My Two Dollars! (yes, that's a shameless "Better Off Dead" reference)


As a first year teacher I am slowly becoming aware that the department of education’s system is inefficient and unfair, but recently I have also experienced how cheap the DOE is.

My principal is new, and as a gesture of goodwill she allowed each class a budgeted $15 for a pizza party, to be paid from teacher’s pockets and later reimbursed. I decided not to split hairs and bring up that $15 isn’t much to feed twelve teenagers, but whatever—free is free!

So, last Friday we ordered a large 8 slice pizza and I cut each slice in half so there was enough to go around I paid the pizza delivery person $13 for the pizza and $2 for tip. My students enjoyed some pizza, and I felt good about doing something nice for them, with little out-of-pocket expense (for once!) for me. Today, I went to the office to fill out forms for my $15 reimbursement ($15 is still big money to me with the college loans to pay back and all) and I was told firmly that the DOE doesn’t cover tip. I will be issued a reimbursement check for $13.

At first I was more puzzled than angry. I mean, it’s only two bucks…I’ve wasted more money than that on arcade games and Pixie Stix. However, the more I dwelled on the DO NOT TIP issue the more agitated I got.

Why doesn’t the DOE tip? Did they not expect teachers to tip? Don’t people understand that the tip is part of someone wages? Some guy had to drive that pizza over to the school in his car, stand at the front desk for an eternity while security rang my room, had to endure the taunts and physical aggression of thuggish students in the hallway, and faced the very real threat of being mugged on his way out (it’s happened before). Isn’t that worth at least $2?

5 Comments:

Blogger NYC Educator said...

Cheesy of them, huh?

The pizza looks good anyway.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 2:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leave it to NYCEd to come up with a comment like that :)

My admin is the same way. These guys not only made a big delivery (not food) to my classroom, but also helped with the clean up afterward and moved furniture too.
When I initially asked her about the tip, she said NO TIP until I told her I tipped them because they did a great job and were helpful. The tip money came from petty cash (snack money) so no big deal!

BTW if you look at what the DoE Teacher's Choice doesn't cover, it's no wonder we pay out of our own pockets.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 4:41:00 PM  
Blogger Geoffrey said...

ten to one says that you're school has more funding available for things such as pizza parties (if you're title 1, its probably 100% true)

i have my students bring in $1 or $2 or even $3 and it really helps out with the costs. $15 from my administration wouldnt do much for one of my classes of 30 students

glad to see another fellow who hasn't quit yet (i'm just finishing my second year)

Saturday, May 19, 2007 7:39:00 AM  
Blogger CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

If they quibble over a $2 tip, imagine what you have to look forward to in years to come!

Saturday, May 19, 2007 8:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... I thought I'd commented. Ooops. I do read!

I love administration crap like that. It's so insane. My AP freaked that I spent $17.00 on LadyBug Land ~ "You KNOW Teacher's Choice is over!!" I shrugged and showed her my shiny new "teaching stuff receipts" folder for next year's taxes.

But your thing is just absurd!

What nights do you have class for Summer 1?

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 3:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker