Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Fellows Helping Fellows


Today I came full circle. A year ago I visited my first classroom before beginning summer training as a Teaching Fellow, and today I had a Fellow-to-be observe my classroom.

I have to ask…did my eyes widen like saucers on my classroom visit? Was I so eager to ask questions and wrap my brain around how a classroom is managed?

My guest stayed and asked many questions that I was glad to answer, and more, I got to see my class through a fresh pair of eyes. Yeah, it’s been tough, and yeah I’ve made mistakes…But I’ve also been lucky enough to learn from them. If I were the shiny and raw educator so many months ago I must have grown a little, hardened a little and found some truths that worked.

The Fellow asked if my class and the school were always so crazy, and I responded that it was par for the course. The kids were actually pretty normal: loud, standing on tables, running in and out of the room, cursing at teachers and paraprofessionals, play fighting on the desk. It’s all about that touch and go moments where you can teach a little, feel a bond with a student, and really see potential through the smokescreen of aggression.

I told the Fellow-to-be exactly why I’ll be in the same place teaching the same population next year: First Year is hell, no matter how ready you think you are; but it makes you ready for anything.

3 Comments:

Blogger Nacho Lover said...

congratulations--on your journey/transition so far, and also on your patience, drive, and conviction!

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 4:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for new fellows! :)

And yay for us for making in in spite of everything!! *hugs*

Thursday, April 26, 2007 6:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm so excited to have run across your blog. I'm a new fellow assigned to teach secondary special education in Brooklyn and I'm completely anxious and overwhelmed. I can't seem to find a way to contact you on here but I would love to ask you a few questions about your experience. If you would be willing, it would be great if you could write me at julietgochnour@yahoo.com.

Thank you so much in advance and thanks for such a great blog. I'm reading all your previous posts and I can't tear myself away. Such great information! Thanks...and good luck.

Juliet

Monday, April 30, 2007 11:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker