Thursday, May 24, 2007

Ain't No Cure for the (almost) Summertime Blues!


It’s been a while since I’ve written, and mainly it’s because I’m blocked. It’s been a rough couple of weeks with the weather change and the tedium in my classroom. Classroom management that I thought I had down started flaring up again, and most days I’ve been coming home exhausted and depressed. I feel so emotionally invested in my students at this point, but it feels like one step forward three steps back.

A wise rope in my support net recently told me that the school year is usually three weeks too long. Well, boy, it sure feels that way! Many of my students have checked out for the summer already! My relationships with the students are at their best right now, I’ve bonded deeply with several kids, and the majority of my class tolerate me at least. (I haven’t been called “white bitch” in about a month) But while relationships are great, academically the kids are done. I’m trying to push for one big ELA project writing a persuasive letter, but only half of my class is involved. Threats of Summer school or repeating the ninth grade seem useless to these kids at this point.

Is it Summer yet?

2 Comments:

Blogger X said...

Tomorrow should be the last day of school; we could end on a great note that way.

Thursday, May 24, 2007 3:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*hugs* I hear you sister! I've got the love/hate thing going on.

And apparently one of the standardized kids has developed a teacher crush on me...he's hugged me every morning at breakfast and then today when he was with the new PT (or OT? they share a room so I'm not sure who's what) person to see if she could take one of mine, I went over to see if said kid would work ok with mine and his face lit up as soon as I spoke to him.

Lovely. :)

Good luck these next few weeks!! When's your class?

Friday, May 25, 2007 3:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker