Thursday, June 14, 2007

Final Exams are Making Me Bitter.


Regents have started, and the principal is very gung-ho about the percentage of students that must pass the math regents in order for her to look good. I hate to sound bitter during my first year, but it makes no sense when the administration acts incongruent with their expectations of the student body.

On one hand the principal rallies the teachers during weekly meetings to encourage kids to go to the after school tutoring program so they can increase their chance of scoring higher, offering gift certificates and prizes for students who attend, and on the other hand the principal could be overheard in a public part of the school (i.e. not in the privacy of her office) in the following casual conversation

Student: “Can I get a $5 McDonalds gift certificate if I pass the regents?”

Principal: “Of course! If you pass the regents I’ll give you a $25 gift card.”

Student exits.

Principal: “It’s not like he’s going to pass anyway, it’s the regents.”

Silence.

Principal: “Ten minutes in and he’ll be done.”
And I'm left wondering what purpose demeaning students serves. (No, I'm not perfect and I have awful days where I curse student's existence...but still, I try not to vent where other students and staff can hear. I appreciate a good beer out with fellow teachers.)


In other news, I proctored my first test alone today. It was a regents where you have to get the kids to put the test booklet back in the envelope and cover it with the big rectangle sticker. You know, where the test preparer counts everything eight times and threatens your unborn children if you lose anything, or don’t put the test booklet numbers in the window.

It was great fun! Except because it was such a big deal everyone and their mother was calling me, or banging on my door, or needing something from me. Why does that always seem to happen?

6 Comments:

Blogger Ms V said...

That is so disgusting. I am disliking your principal more and more everyday. Hopefully more teachers like you will become principals and make people like her non-existent.

Thursday, June 14, 2007 8:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our mayor just announced he is doing the same thing. He is bribing students to pass, yet giving teachers nothing.

Did your principal came from the same school of idiots aka Leadership Academy?

Saturday, June 16, 2007 9:25:00 AM  
Blogger Geoffrey said...

i also dislike your principal; what sort of leader does things like this?

although, i somewhat understand the burnout that educators go through and the reasoning behind why such a person would say such things

its almost as if educators develop this unrequited attitude

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 2:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't lose your opportunity to spent more time with your family. Just give your writing tasks for freelancehouse.co.uk, they'll do theirs best. I know, because I use it regularly.

Monday, July 06, 2015 8:39:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am a bit wondering if you plan to continue the story. That is wonderful for the students to get sometimes the motivation which is the key point for everything. If your muse or motovation is lost, be ready to go to this web-site and have your tasks done by the real qualified writers.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 5:38:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Greetings! I totally agree with author that students are afraid of exams. `But I want give one valuable advice -
custom-paper-writing.org - may help you avoid any paper troubles at any suitable time!

Thursday, May 26, 2016 11:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker