Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Writing On The Wall

There is one student in my classroom who I trusted enough to tell that it was my first year teacher. I don’t know why, I think I just needed one student to know. Or I needed to know that someone knew that I may be inexperienced, but I’m doing my best.

Anyway, she never betrayed me to other students who would abuse the knowledge. (most students were intuitive enough to know that if it wasn’t my first year, it was damn close) And knowing that she knew the truth lent us a bond where I could ask her how I was doing, or how I could change stuff and generally take the temperature of the class through her. The student was honest and helpful, and at times trying and cross…and today while she and I were taking down classroom paraphernalia I looked over at the blackboard and saw this:


The writing on the wall wasn’t just a message of thanks; it was hope for the upcoming year.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That says it all!

Congrats on making it through the first year--and you had quite a year. Students know when a teacher truly cares about them, and it came through with you.

Now if your principal could understand that!!!

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 4:35:00 PM  
Blogger Teacha said...

You made it! I know it must feel like a releif. Let me tell you, you learn from experience, your second year will be easier!

We need to hear words like this from our students once in a while. Hang on to this picture. Hold on to these words especially when as you go through your second year. Keep up the good work. And I look forward to hearing about the second year.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 11:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww!!! Awesome! :)

See you tomorrow night!!!! :)

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 8:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, come on. It was cute. :)

I think we've decided on Piccolo Angolo. Though it's a tiny place in the village so it won't be quiet, but they like Italian, so...

Thursday, June 21, 2007 7:59:00 PM  
Blogger NYC Educator said...

Little things like that can mean so much.

Congratulations. It's great to be appreciated by those who are really important.

Sunday, June 24, 2007 7:01:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker