Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Lazily Embarking on the Second Year


Thinking back to a year ago I remember how tightly wound I was concerning my first year of teaching. I was reading oodles of teacher blogs, buying hundreds of dollars worth of supplies, and gearing up for the most harrowing and rewarding journey of my life. When I’ve met with new teachers without that first make-or-break year behind them I can’t help but notice how fresh and shiny they look. Was I ever so unmarked? Did the year change me so much?

I’ll level with you, I haven’t started supply shopping yet. I’ve been vacationing all over the U.S. and sleeping in, getting sun burn and seeing friends…I’ve been resting, and I can’t make myself feel that beginning-of-the-year panic. I thought I’d spent the whole summer devising ways to ease my second year of teaching, but no; I’ve been occupied.

On top of my summer grad work I took a six day course by the department of ed. Called Life Space Crisis Intervention; and aside from giving me a certification that looks neat on my resume it really helped me gain perspective on helping kids who lash out. Now, I’m not about to jump on the Ed-terminology bandwagon because the course really did throw a lot of needless buzz words out (like reality rub, red flag, or symptom estrangement) but the basic theory was that educators need to step back, keep their feelings in check and handle students in crisis (that means students who are freakin’ out) without getting drawn into their anger. It’s good stuff to know, and it got me out of the house.

I have one more vacation planned for the summer, a long weekend in my hometown…and my plan for the week if to find a suitable teacher-planner for the upcoming year. I feel that all other supplies can wait until I can inventory what I have left from last year.

Teachers, enjoy those last few days before you head back to school.

New Teachers, take a day to pamper yourself and get ready for the ride of your life.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck! You have it a bit harder because your admin is not the supportive type. However, you will probably outlast her.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 2:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

EEEEE!!! It's about to start!! I know what you mean about not buying things. Though in my case it's because I'm not sure what population I'll have. If I end up with autistic kids, it doesn't make sense to have a lot of all matching stuff. So... So far it's only a lesson plan book and roll book.

We should do something!!

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 6:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker