Sunday, December 31, 2006

Back From Christmas Vacation

I’m back from my Christmas retreat. I felt like I needed to not only leave the classroom, but escape the city that is home to the rage and torment that seethes in my students.

I wish I could say I’m incredibly recharged and ready to face the youths again. I spent a bunch of time talking with an experienced teacher of emotionally disturbed kids, and I really get the sense that the kids themselves aren’t my biggest problem, but the administration that doesn’t back me up.

Did I tell you? Starting on Tuesday, we have a new principal. I’m sure the transition will bode exceptionally well with the kiddies. Yeah right.

My biggest New Years resolution is to really buckle down and find creative ways to work with my students. (Over the past week I’ve had several dreams about them…I’m thinking I miss them.)

Tuesday I get to think up a new bulletin board, but for all to see: here’s what my class helped make for Christmas:


My students decorated their stockings with glitter and glue. And I promise you, I'll be finding glitter in my classroom until Easter. As a treat I bought all sorts of goodies from Costco to stuff in the stockings. The bad news was that plenty of kids didn't show up on the Friday before break.

Providence provides. I was coming up empty for lesson plans for Friday afternoon: you know, when most of the class has walked out, but you need to keep the last four students engaged enough so they don't stab eachother? So during a scuffle between two kids they ripped down the current board, seen here, and with a little fast thinking I had my students devote an entire 90 fuss-free minutes to cutting out a Christmas tree and making star-shapped decorations with the glittered initials of each student. It was brilliant and inspiring! We even sang Chistmas carols! So add "make more hands-on projects for students to work on" to my list of resolutions.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Christmas project stuff looks AWESOME!!!!

Glad you had a good break...sorry you spent so much time in Nashville's airport...I know it's kinda...boring.

As for classes, I think they register us...the last email I had said they were going to try to get us registered before, but if not it'll be this week. I didn't get done, so... I think classes start on the 22nd.

Monday, January 01, 2007 4:49:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you are in such good spirits and I only wish you good things this new year.

But...you still leave us guessing in your posts.

You never told us that your principal was leaving (or did you?) and why?

And, what ever happened with your observation you alluded to in a previous post.

I think you found that your students like to do art projects and should include as many as you can. You are obviously gifted in this medium. I knew someone who taught special ed throught the arts and got some fantastic results from her kids.

Monday, January 01, 2007 9:17:00 AM  
Blogger Ms. C said...

I never wrote about my principal leaving because I wasn't told until Thursday morning of last week. So there was a 2 day warning, and tomorrow there's a new one.

As for the observation, I got a satisfactory no thanks to my kids. One of the smart-ass ones decided to act up as much as possible and say stuff like "We never do this much work." and demand I explain concepts several times so I was "a responsible teacher"

The feedback I received was that I had a good lesson plan but didn't check in with my paraprofessionals often enough (I tend to give directions and let them go, thinking no one likes someone over their shoulder) and I should have shut up the students who were acting up. Ok, fine. Tell me how.

Monday, January 01, 2007 10:05:00 AM  
Blogger X said...

Oh dear lord. My thoughts will certainly be with you this week. Let us know about how the transition goes.

Monday, January 01, 2007 6:47:00 PM  
Blogger Ms. George said...

Happy New Year, Ms. C! Good luck with the new principal; our new Science Teacher started today. So far, so good.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 6:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Dissertation Proposal said...

Back From Christmas Vacation <--
that's what i was looking for
Proposal Dissertation

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker