Friday, November 24, 2006

Giving Thanks

I hope everyone’s Thanksgiving was kind with family and gentle on the waist-line.

Wednesday I gave my students the wildly creative assignment of writing what they are thankful for. Some may say I’m cruel to ask the harshly underprivileged kids what they feel grateful for while I feed them pizza and cookies. The finished product of my kids brought me close to tears, their thanks were sweet and funny, and filled with the truth of youth.

Here are a few excerpts, with unchanged spelling and sentiments.



“I am thankful for my mother, for care and love and food. I am thank for my sister for help me when I was little”

“I am thankful for god, I am thankful for my family. I am thankful for being free.”

“I am thankful for food and my grandma who makes food and stores that have food.”

“This year I am thankful for making it to high school. I’m thankful for having the talent to play basketball.”


My best to you and your classrooms this Holiday.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a student in my school who was transferred under NCLB. He came from a tough school, so the adjustment was not easy for him. He is always having lunch in the principal's office. But when I gave students the opportunity to make a Thanksgiving card, he got all mushy and even asked if I would give him another turkey to color because he was not happy with the way his first turned out.

He also wrote a nice piece on giving thanks.

Just goes to show, even the toughest cookies can be reached.

Sunday, November 26, 2006 4:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker