Friday, October 27, 2006

Court Date for Assault



Monday I was told that today, Friday, was Mark's school hearing and that I wasn't invited. You know, to keep the hearing from being "adversarial" my principal said. Yesterday I was told that the school hearing was cancelled and rescheduled because Mark's court date is scheduled for today.

Mind you, I heard all of this second hand in an "oh, by the way..." tone. I was reminded that Mark is seventeen, and the law has done him wrong. Especially because this wasn't the student's first offense.

Let me tell you how I feel: I'm glad there's a chance Mark may see some jail time. Not because I want revenge, or thinks he needs the kind of discipline prison can give. I'm just glad he's not returning to my school. Even though he'd be put in another class, it's a pretty small school and my own classroom is an easy target. I'd be lying if I didn't say he was a student who made me nervous for my health, and though I can empathize with a bad childhood, drugs, bad parents, and the American system that may have done him wrong Mark fills me with more dread than pity.

I'm glad he's the exception more than the rule.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, perish forbid you may have formed a negative opinion about the young man simply because he assaulted you.

What a bunch of politically correct morons.

Friday, October 27, 2006 3:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This question has been asked before, but where is your Chapter Leader in all this? Has anyone from the union even contacted you? If not, call the Brooklyn office and speak to someone about this whole incident and find out your rights.

Friday, October 27, 2006 6:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Ms. C, Schoolgal asked you the question of the moment...where IS your Chapter Leader in all of this? You MUST call your borough office and file a UFT victims' report. In a normal school which I guess I apparently still teach in, there ARE serious consequences for a kid assaulting a teacher, even in this new regime of KleinBloom's which dictates that a kid like your "Mark" return to terrorize students and staff. That is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. You also must get an order of protection. As I mentioned in a previous comment to one of your posts, my supervisor (sp.ed.) was attacked by a student (sp.ed.). The kid was arrested, had a superintendent's suspension, and was moved out of the school to who knows where but not here. Our school is criminally overcrowded, but kids like "Mark" are looked at as a criminal where I teach.

Saturday, October 28, 2006 5:36:00 AM  
Blogger Chaz said...

Are you sure "Mark" isn't comimg back? According to the DOE, "Mark" has the right to go back to his home school if he and his parents wants to.

Your administrators and Chapter Leader are, as the kids say, "playing you". Don't accept their promises, get it in writing.

Schoolgal ^ Ellie are correct, make sure your rights are protected.

Saturday, October 28, 2006 1:20:00 PM  
Blogger 17 (really 15) more years said...

Is there still such a thing as a safety transfer? Or is this yet another protection that our beloved union gave away? Even if Mark goes to another school, he still knows where you work. Call the UFT and see if it is possible for you to be moved to another school. BTW, I am convinced that your CL is taking his lead from administration-I wouldn't trust him as far as I can throw him.

Please- don't let your judgment be shadowed by a misguided devotion to your students. Your personal safety and well being are all that matter in this horrific situation.

Sunday, October 29, 2006 5:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was threatened by a student this morning in school, and your story kept running through my head. It's incredible that students think that this crap is all right. My prayers are with you, and all of us.

Monday, October 30, 2006 7:37:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker