Sunday, December 03, 2006

Mark Rides Again!

(This is regarding the same dangerous student from these previous posts)
http://teachyoualesson.blogspot.com/2006/10/assault-and-ambulance-ride.html
http://teachyoualesson.blogspot.com/2006/10/return-of-mark.html

Friday was another scary confrontation with Mark. For a while it was getting better, I’d write the student up when he came into my class and he was suspended a few times and came into my class less and less…sometimes only once a day. After my initial inquiries for an order of protection were shot down by administration, head of security as well as the union rep at the school I let it go; especially because Mark was being more of an annoyance than a threat.

Friday he became a threat, busting into my classroom and fighting with student on my desk. I shouted for security out my door, no longer trusting the phone, and Mark and the other student were removed from my class. (There were several dangerous fights on Friday, one including Isabelle fighting another girl and gouging her with a thumbtack.)

No even ten minutes later Mark was back and pounding on my door. The door was locked, and I smartly refused to open it, even after Mark started shouting and kicking at the door. After a few moments I attempted to teach my class again when one of my own students opened the door. Mark came raging in, throwing student work and dumping an entire can of garbage all over the two class computers. More violent behavior ensued, the throwing of desks, the kicking of random objects…The eyes of my students widened.

Mark was taken out, again. But returned to bang on my door and shout rather colorful threats.

I spoke again with the principal, and I may have gotten through, (a whole pile of anecdotals can’t be ignored forever) because Mark is being put into a vocational setting, only being in the school for the first two periods. And that’s fine with me, because Mark never showed up before 10ish.

It’s hard to feel warmth and compassion for the students who seem beyond my help. This kid (Kid? He’s a breath away from being an adult.) scares me, I feel guilty for thinking poor thoughts about him, but he’s out of control.

So while I’m hoping that he does well in vocational training…maybe working towards something productive will ease his anger, I look forward to not having him in my life.

9 Comments:

Blogger Tracy Kaufman said...

Holy crap! How is he still allowed inside the school at all at this point??

Monday, December 04, 2006 5:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's "hard to feel warmth?" You're kidding, right?

The kid is a criminal. The order of protection is not an option your principal has. It's an option you have.

Your first job is protecting yourself. You have the absolute right to go directly to the police and if I were you, I'd have done so long ago. You are clearly surrounded by incompetents and morons and you must protect yourself.

Consider contacting the press if this does not end quickly. I can help you with that if you like.

Monday, December 04, 2006 7:24:00 PM  
Blogger Jennie said...

Wow. None of that sounds at all okay. Talk about hostile work environment! Please, make sure you can take care of yourself and that you watch out--this kid sounds like a true threat to you and your ability to do your job.

Monday, December 04, 2006 7:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would also think an order of protection would be something you would initiate, not your administrators. Your rep is an idiot, but what has the UFT borough office told you?

I know special ed students follow different discipline codes due to their IEPs, but a teacher shouldn't be subjected to this.

There is some hidden adgenda that has not surfaced yet between you, your principal and union rep. You need to identify it quick.

The UFT office in Manhattan has a special eduction special rep. You should call her.

Monday, December 04, 2006 7:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a veteran (29 years!!) teaching special ed, I can tell you that this Mark is a criminal, plain and simple. He is a violent misfit. What ever happened to that order of protection, Ms. C?? Your school is being run by a pack of abject morons, and your UFT rep is a useless waste product. Call the Manhattan UFT office tomorrow, you need to discuss this matter with someone immediately. Don't worry about not feeling all fuzzy and cuddly about Mark, he doesn't possess normal feelings. He sounds like a very volatile neurologically impaired person with no impulse control who is being enabled by the incompetent boobs running your school. Not only is he a danger to you, he's obviously a danger to the other students. You must take action immediately. Your administration is taking advantage of your naivete and your lack of experience, especially in these matters.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006 5:11:00 PM  
Blogger 17 (really 15) more years said...

An order of protection is your right, and has nothing to do with your administrators. The only thing they care about is having one less incident to put on the school report card. Just because this sociopath is out of the school doesn't mean you're safe. I'll venture to say it's just a matter of time before he starts hanging around your school again. You must take action NOW before it's too late. None of us want to read that you have been assaulted or worse by reading an article on the front page of the Daily News.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 4:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ms. C, I and I believe at least someone else from the UFT have dropped emails to you in the past month to help. Can you please send me an email at klavasany@uft.org or kombiz@gmail.com

- Kombiz

Friday, December 08, 2006 1:57:00 PM  
Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Your first duty is to yourself. Look at it this way: If the thug hurts you again, what will the rest of your students do? You can't help them if YOU'RE not there.

Saturday, December 09, 2006 6:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This student is a danger to the other students and your administration is clearly not taking their safety seriously.

Friday, December 15, 2006 8:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker