Friday, February 02, 2007

Happy Teacher


Normally I use my blog to complain, de-stress and generally pollute the internet tubes with my shell-shocked bitterness. Today, though, was the day all teachers (especially new ones) dream of: The near-perfect day. I literally walked home with a spring in my step. My kids were pretty well behaved; they stayed in the classroom for the most part, if not exactly in their seats…They were productive: I was able to get them to do a free write, listen to me read a chapter out of Down These Mean Streets, copy a whole page of Global Studies notes AND answer pertinent questions and even got them to organize their portfolio binders. This might not sound like a lot of work to do in a day—but think of the population that I teach; this was more work than I would get out of my students in a bad week.

The students were good, and I was good: on top of the ball as teachers go. And I was shouting! These students respond favorably when you shout at them! How crazy is that?! And I’m getting better at the shouting and the being firm.

I wrote little notes to each student’s parents stating how happy I was with the day’s behavior and productivity.

Now, if only I hadn’t just jinxed myself for a massacre on Monday. Oh well, have a great weekend everybody!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you had a happy day!! :)

Friday, February 02, 2007 3:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome!! Aren't days like that great? Hopefully after this stupid "quality review" thing life will get back to normal at my school.

I'm gonna go see "No Child..." tonight for inspiration. Shoot me an email if you're interested in meeting up!

Saturday, February 03, 2007 2:55:00 AM  
Blogger Eunice Chung said...

Good to hear that. Happy "happyday" kids can be stressful. I like kids, I use to be a math teacher. It is stressful when we work toward target. btw, stress is a mental state. it is a mindet that ctrl.

Eunice
urtips.com, tips at your fingertips., stress and happiness

Saturday, February 03, 2007 6:23:00 AM  
Blogger Nacho Lover said...

hurrah! and congratulations! you deserve to be happy and excited about a great day. there WILL be more! have a restful and fun weekend on your own before heading back to the kiddies.

Sunday, February 04, 2007 9:52:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find I can only ever have one of these days in a row. But they are so worth it.

Friday, February 16, 2007 3:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm happy for you. I understand your joy and recognize that those kinds if days happen so infrequently for us. I'm wishing for more days like that for the both of us!

Monday, February 26, 2007 1:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Damier Graphite said...

hey,this is one of the best posts that I’ve ever seen; you may include some more ideas in the same theme. I’m still waiting for some interesting thoughts from your side in your next post.

Saturday, November 20, 2010 12:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker