Thursday, March 15, 2007

What a Woeful, Worthless, Waste of a Day


It’s days like these that kick me in the pants. The classroom was trashed twice, I got nothing but surliness from the students, couldn't teach a damn thing all day, extra paperwork from the administration and parent teacher conferences in the evening. Most first year teachers have serious thoughts of quitting the profession during their trial by fire period, and today is one of those days for me. All the good wishes, the bright ideas, the understanding I (think I) have with students fails me sometimes, and that frustration combined with the disconnect that I sense the higher-ups have concerning what the students can do, and what they want the teachers to somehow produce from the kids. (You can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear, and you can’t expect someone with a 2nd grade reading level to pass a regents.)

What can I say? Some days are really inspiringf or me as a teacher AND as a person, and even though I can think back to October when almost every day sucked (and was dangerous) it’s still wearying to trudge through the days where every single aspect of teaching goes wrong, you can’t educate worth a damn and the only saving grace is that it’s nearly the weekend and sixty-some days till Summer. There's no real fear of me quitting, and I’m sure after indulging in a night of sulking and a hot bath I’ll be set to face the day tomorrow…But I can’t help but think teaching is really thankless work sometimes.

And no, no parents showed up for parent teacher conferences either. But I didn’t really have my hopes up anyway.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ms. George said...

Oh, I am sorry you had such a cr*p day. The fact that you still care speaks volumes. Yes, it is easy for me to say from suburbia, right? Hang in there. NYC needs good teachers like you. It's too bad the administration and the kids don't see that as they should.

Thursday, March 15, 2007 7:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shakespeare didn't say "Beware the Ides of March" for nothing.

*hugs*

Are you gonna be around during Spring Break? Some cool shows have student rush!

Friday, March 16, 2007 2:04:00 PM  
Blogger NYC Educator said...

Sorry to hear you're still down. It's true a crappy administration can really have an adverse effect on your job.

In time you will learn tricks and shortcuts and gain more control. Look to colleagues you consider successful and ask for tips.

Saturday, March 17, 2007 2:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have had far worse days and survived. You will survive again.

Sunday, March 18, 2007 10:30:00 AM  
Blogger Nacho Lover said...

dude, that sucks. i'm so sorry you've had another shitty day. i hope you find a moment of goodness next week to keep you going. :) and i hope you take your weekends for yourself, to rest and recoup! good luck. :)

Sunday, March 18, 2007 10:43:00 AM  
Blogger Ms. C said...

Thank you all for the support. I'm taking it really easy this weekend, resting, spending time with worthwile adults that I know.

I shall boldly face the week to come.

Sunday, March 18, 2007 11:16:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker