Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Anthem For First Year Teachers

I am going to make it through this year, if it kills me.

Today was a good day. A really good day. And it freaks me out how surprised I am that no one got hurt, nothing in my classroom got harmed, most kids did work, and I actually got through a lesson. My feet don’t hurt, my throat isn’t raw…and I feel pretty good about what I’ve got going on.

However, I have to remind myself that Today is Today…and has no bearing on tomorrow. I feel like if I put my guard down for a split second everything will fall apart and I’ll have kids flying through the air. You may say that I should celebrate the good day, and leave worrying for tomorrow...but I warn you; that's what the grasshopper said to his ant buddies.

Veteran teachers all told me that I have to take it one day at a time…and I laughed off the advice for some corny shtick. But it’s the truth; students are so different day-to-day….and a student who hated me last week actually said good morning to me today.

I tell myself to hope for the best, and throw my Teaching Anthem on the stereo. It’s “This Year” by the Mountain Goats, and it’s one of those tunes that gives me the resolve I sometimes need. (As if I only have to get through this one year and everything will fall into place. I'm not that naive...but it's nice to dream.)

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Ron said...

Hi Ms. C:

I am a also a first year teacher (elementary) struggling through my first year of teaching. I identify with many of the experiences you have (especially with behavior), even with the age differences of children we have.

Please keep writing - you give me hope!

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 5:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Truer first-year-teaching words are never spoken. I never cease to be amazed by how true it is that each day is completely different from the next. In 4 years, I have not had 2 sensational days in a row--or 2 heartbreaking days. Well, I've come close on the heartbreaking. But they still weren't at the same level.

Saturday, March 10, 2007 11:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker