Saturday, March 10, 2007

The Short End of the Stick

As much as I love teaching, sometimes it feels like a kick to the neck. I was told yesterday that the student from Tuesday’s blog post is being removed from the school for a safety transfer. Thursday she was jumped after school at a local McDonalds and hurt pretty badly. Luckily, McD’s has cameras and the girls responsible were arrested.

But, Jesus, why do these kids do these sorta things to each other? The futility of the situation makes me nauseous, how can my students rise above their environment if they are beaten down even before they become adults? I had such high hopes for this girl in my class, and I still do. The student is very strong, and still smart. But four schools in this year alone will not help this young lady succeed. I feel so impotent as an educator, trying to reach these students who are living such dangerous lives. And even when I tell myself there is no logical way I can touch every young mind that passes through my class, it is indeed cold comfort. Something in the system is not working, and it’s obviously the students who gets the short end of the stick.

2 Comments:

Blogger NYC Educator said...

I understand your feelings, but your students are lucky to have a teacher who cares about them so much. Often they have no one at home who does.

You're doing a very important job helping these kids. Honestly, I could never teach special ed. and I have great respect for those who do. While I oppose merit pay, I think special ed. teachers should be paid more than other teachers, and I still wouldn't do it.

However, if your depression over such issues continues, you might want to consider teaching another discipline. One of my best friends is an ex-special ed. teacher, and she's very happy teaching regular students.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 8:03:00 AM  
Blogger Ms. C said...

I'm not sure the problem is the students. I enjoy teaching only twelve kids, and the bond that developes.

I have more of a problem with how administration and the higher ups deal with the issues. Why didn't anyone do anything when the girls were bothering my student on Tuesday? It was a warning.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 8:15:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker