Tuesday, July 11, 2006

You want me to teach WHAT?!

You may all be aware that I’m taking an intensive boot-camp of teacher training to start educating in September, but you might not be aware that I currently have no job. That’s right, I’m going to classes for 10 hours a day, 5 days a week, and I’m not even sure where or if I’ll be teaching. I keep mumbling to myself “providence provides, providence provides.”

Today I gave my resume to Dr. Scope, the principal of the school I’m doing my field work in. She has a deep German accent and Freud-esque spectacles, and is stout as a teapot. Her response to me: “I see you have a social studies and English background, would you teach physics?”

…Wha? How could I respond to that? I took Physics in high school, and amazingly passed it. (barely) But how could I even think about teaching it? Not that I turned it down, mind you. I left everything nice and open-ended…but I think it was obvious that I don’t know physics from a fruit roll-up. There was more math in physics than my 12th grade math class. And even if I were to teach physics...how in the world would I teach something that dry to kids with behavior problems? They'd never sit through a lecture on bloody ohms.

Well, the doctor now has my resume on file, and also a lovely cover letter that took me an hour to write. Now all I can hope is that a current teacher resigns, retires, or gets West Nile. Or you’ll see me on the side of the road with a cardboard sign: Will teach for Food!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

Saturday, August 12, 2006 4:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

Thursday, August 17, 2006 7:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker